Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Politics and good manners

           I can hear someone saying, "Isn't politics and good manners an oxymoron?" I'm beginning to wonder if the two are opposites myself. I like an interesting discussion but not when one view gets bombarded as wrong, wrong, wrong. I've been on the receiving end of that type of "discussion" and don't like it at all.

           Part of the problem, I believe, is the people who start the "discussion" only want comments from those who agree with them 100 percent. Hey, folks, that is not a discussion; that is propaganda. Heaven help the person who makes a comment not completely in agreement.

           Allow me to give an example of a personal experience. Someone posted on a social website that he wished the people who kept demanding that the President show his birth certificate would finally shut up since one had been produced. He added that they probably wouldn't because those "people" refuse to believe anything but what they want to believe. I dared mention the fiasco about John McCain and how the media insisted he wasn't eligible because he was born on a military base in Panama because his father was military. It was a brief firestorm, yes, but it happened.

           Needless to say, I started a firestorm. I wasn't defending anyone or attacking anyone, just adding to the discussion -- I thought. Silly me. Needless to say, I will not comment on that person's page, status, or whatever again. I was verbally attacked as if I had dared to call the President a dirty name, and I hadn't mentioned him directly or indirectly.

           No good manners there, and seldom are found if politics or religion is the topic directly or indirectly. All my debate experience is for naught when I don't know there is opposition or the opposition doesn't know the rules of good manners. Some people want to be right, even if they have to batter someone with a bit of different opinion into the ground.

            What a shame.

2 comments:

LK Hunsaker said...

I shouldn't even get started on this topic, but I so agree with you. If you don't want debate, don't post political thoughts. If you do, be prepared for dissent - it's our right, after all! It's what we were formed out of.

I've been lucky to find a few people with different opinions who will debate them politely and listen to what I say, as well. I enjoy those debates. It's called learning and growth.

Of course, I've also pulled myself off pages that are too one-sided AND too rude about it. What do you say when a long-term good friend who knows you disagree with her views states she'll delete anyone who "bashes" her favored politician? Well.. I guess if that's what she has to do, she's showing more loyalty to that politician who will never return it than to friends who already have. Sad. People need to get a grip and behave like ... well, intelligent life. If you say you're all about "peace and love" and then talk so rudely to those who disagree, your opinion is invalid. at least in my opinion.

Vivian Zabel said...

Sad isn't it?