Thursday, November 6, 2008

Some brain cells and bubble wrap for life

Harry Gilleland is a poet, an honest to goodness writer of very good poetry. His latest book is Poetic Musings of an Old, Fat Man, and I enjoyed it tremendously.

His poetry contains deep inspection of life and its experiences, with a some hope to bubble wrap some of the pain, and a few laughs to give the brain and heart a rest.

Harry Gilleland has been a friend for several years. We've been writers together and reviewed and commented on one another's poetry and novels. I've read most of Harry's books, and enjoyed them. However,
Poetic Musings of an Old, Fat Man is by far my favorite.

Harry often uses his storoems and poems to reveal life in its glory and its despair. This collection is not different. I found myself laughing when I read "It," and agreeing completely with the message. When I read "Ghetto Dweller," my eyes filled with tears, but my heart cried from the pain evoked from Harry's words and insight.

Anyone reading Harry's words knows his love for his wife, his outlook on life, his sometimes quirky view of everyday happenings. He weaves all together so that readers can also "see" through his eyes.

Poetic Musings of an Old, Fat Man offers something for every one in over 150 pages, which contain rhyming poems and storoems, two limericks, acrostic poems, and free verse poems.




cross posted: Vivian's Site



.

2 comments:

Helen Ginger said...

Thanks for posting your review. I don't read much poetry, so it's nice to get a recommendation from someone I trust. And I love the title, Poetic Musings of an Old, Fat Man.

Morgan Mandel said...

Love that title. The poet is not afraid of his physical appearance. That's cool.

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com